Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Strawberry Jam!!

It all started with this:  
You'll need a box of Sure-jell, Fruit Pectin.
I just followed the instructions in the Sure-jell package. I made the "freezer" kind. I wanted something I didn't have to "CAN" but that I could eat right away and gift right away! First, you smash, or in my case, use a blender/magic bullet to blend up your berries. Jam has fruit bits in it, so be sure to not puree your berries!  
 Once I had the right amount (2 cups) of smashed berries, I mixed in the sugar (4 cups). Once the two are mixed together, let it sit for about ten minutes. Stir it occasionally!  
When the ten minutes is almost up, I mix the bag of Pectin with water (3/4 cup) and bring it to a boil, constantly stirring.  
When it comes to a full boil, stir while boiling for 2 minutes.  
Take the Pectin mixture off the heat and stir it into the berry/sugar mixture. Stir until no sugar crystals remain. Pour the new jam into jelly jars and screw the lids on! (Ignore the Bullet cup in the background! I blended up too many berries....and made myself a smoothie!!)
Once your lids are in place, set the jars on the counter for 24 hours before freezing or putting in the refrigerator. This is super important as it allows the Pectin to settle and form the delicious jam!  
Last but not least....ENJOY!!! It's DELICOUS!! (Even just right out of the jar....uh, I mean, someone told me that!!) Next time, I want to try some with fresh peaches too!! YUM! Have you made jam? Have any tips for next go around?! I've made three batches so far this year!

No comments: